I am not a diesel mechanic but I try to capture what I learn as I work through different issues. I read everything I can find about the early L-Series Tractors. I understand the L175, L210, L225, L225DT, and L260 are essentially the same tractor except for differing engine size. Also the L225/L225DT has a 3 cyl engine and the 225DT has 4 wheel drive components. If you know other wise, let me know. I think the 1969-70 L200 is somewhat like these but didn't have headlights.

Sunday, May 14, 2006

The Starter

For 55 bucks, a nice guy named Eric put a new pinion gear on the starter. In fact, it is one of those high amperage gear reduction units I alluded to in the earlier post. Apparently the contacts on the cable from the battery were oxidized because now that it's been brushed off and tightened down, that thing cranks like a demon. I did some minor mods to it to make it easier to install. I ground down the nuts and the stud that takes the power from the relay to the motor to shorten them down by about a quarter inch. I did the same to the main power stud that gets power from the battery.

I also rounded the stud that gets the power from the ignition switch. By doing this the installation was tons easier and put a lot less stress on the hydraulic lines.

Remember, if you are going to grind studs or screws, put a nut on the stud so you can back the nut it off to clean up the threads when you're done.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home