I am not a diesel mechanic but I try to capture what I learn as I work through different issues. I read everything I can find about the early L-Series Tractors. I understand the L175, L210, L225, L225DT, and L260 are essentially the same tractor except for differing engine size. Also the L225/L225DT has a 3 cyl engine and the 225DT has 4 wheel drive components. If you know other wise, let me know. I think the 1969-70 L200 is somewhat like these but didn't have headlights.

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

More From Larry About Hard Starting L1500

I rearranged these to read oldest to newest...

On Jan 4, 2007, at 4:32 PM, Larry wrote:

Mike,
Thanks for the info. I spent some time today going through the entire glow plug circuit. Cleaned off all the electrical connections on the dash mounted starter switch and even removed the glow plugs and cleaned them also. I tested the glow plugs while they were removed and they are both getting red hot so I know the circuit is working ok. Tried starting it after all this and still had the same problem. Even though the starter seems to be turning over ok I'm thinking that it's just not spinning over fast enough to fire the engine. The starter was taken apart and cleaned about a year ago but I guess I need to take it to a starter shop so they can check it under load. Do you know if these tractor starters can be rewound to give them more starting torque? Thanks again for the info you sent. It was helpful.
Larry.......


From: Mike
To: Larry
Sent: Thursday, January 04, 2007 7:56 PM
Subject: Re: Kubota L1500

Also, how strong is your battery. If it isn't spinning fast enough, dirty terminals and weak battery are more likely than starter. Does jumping it from a running vehicle help? I'd check compression next. Starter is a pain to remove on mine, you have to disconnect the hydraulic lines.

Mike

From: Larry
Subject: Re: Kubota L1500
Date: January 5, 2007 4:04:30 PM PST
To: Mike

Was determined to find the problem so I spent most of the day changing out both battery cables and removing the starter then having it checked out at a starter shop. Starter checked out ok but it does seem like the problem was in the cables. The positive cable seemed to be OEM and it was made of aluminum which I changed to a copper cable. The ground cable seemed ok at first until I started bending it and it began to break apart. Changed that one to copper also. The engine is spinning over fine and starting a whole lot better than before. I think the engine is still a little sluggish getting started but this might be fuel related. At least it starts a lot better than before. Mike, thanks again for all the help.
Larry.......

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home