I am not a diesel mechanic but I try to capture what I learn as I work through different issues. I read everything I can find about the early L-Series Tractors. I understand the L175, L210, L225, L225DT, and L260 are essentially the same tractor except for differing engine size. Also the L225/L225DT has a 3 cyl engine and the 225DT has 4 wheel drive components. If you know other wise, let me know. I think the 1969-70 L200 is somewhat like these but didn't have headlights.

Sunday, June 24, 2007

Ouch!

I took the brakes apart today. It wasn't pretty. Right side brake housing was completely full of gear oil. The brake drum shaft bearing was shattered and the seal was dysfunctional. We're talking disaster. I've got to find a replacement bearing and seal bushing. Meanwhile I needed to get the shoes re-lined. The drums aren't too bad, This is still going to be much bigger than I wanted.

Somewhere in the bottom of that transmission case, there are about a dozen hardened steel balls rolling around the remains of the crushed bearing races. It gives me terrors just thinking about it. Anyone know the least intrusive way to clean the sump of the tranny/differential case? Anyone ever removed the PTO shaft from the rear? The panel directly in front of and below the seat looks like it may be a way in also.

The good news about working on the L210 is that any mechanical assembly I've ever disassembled has been completely straight-forward to repair and replace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home